In type 2 diabetes, it is important to follow a special therapeutic diet and take medication in a timely manner. Diabetics have many foods to exclude their diet, to avoid sudden jumps in blood sugar. However, tomatoes are a product that is allowed to eat with this disease.
The glycemic index of fresh tomatoes is only 10 units, they contain 23 kcal, 1.1 proteins, 0.2 fats and 3.8 carbohydrates. Thus, the question whether diabetics can eat tomatoes can be answered positively.
Despite the minimum calorie content, these vegetables perfectly saturate the body, they also contain a large amount of vitamins and minerals that are vital for patients.
How are tomatoes useful?
The composition of tomatoes include vitamins B, C and D, as well as potassium, magnesium, calcium, fluorine. A positive feature of tomatoes is the absence of fat and cholesterol, vegetables have a low glycemic index, 100 g of the product contains only 2.6 g of sugar. Therefore, this product is ideal and safe for type 2 diabetes.
Fresh tomatoes help to increase the level of hemoglobin in the blood, reduce the levels of harmful cholesterol, and thin the blood. Tomatoes effectively improve a person’s mood due to the content of serotonin in them. Lycopene, a powerful antioxidant, helps prevent the development of cardiovascular diseases.
Also, these vegetables have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. The use of them reduces the risk of blood clots. Doctors recommend tomatoes for weight loss in the presence of type 2 diabetes.
- Despite the low glycemic index and the minimum caloric level, tomatoes perfectly satisfy hunger due to the presence of chromium in the composition.
- Additionally, the product does not allow developing oncological formations, effectively cleans the liver of toxic substances and accumulated slags.
- Thus, tomatoes are especially useful in the presence of obesity, they contribute to reducing the weight and filling the body with vitamins.
Drinking Tomato Juice for Diabetes
Diabetics are recommended not only to eat tomatoes regularly, but also to take fresh tomato juice. Like fruits, juice has a rather low glycemic index of 15 units, so it does not affect blood sugar levels and is allowed for diabetes.
In addition to the above useful properties, tomato juice has a rejuvenating effect, it is often used for cosmetic purposes to prepare a mask that preserves the youth of the skin.
For diabetics, this property is especially useful, as tomatoes improve the condition of the skin, make the skin more elastic and smooth, and it is also an excellent means of protection against ultraviolet radiation. If you drink tomato juice every day, you can get rid of the main signs of aging skin in the form of the smallest wrinkles. A clear result of rejuvenation and improvement can be achieved in two or three months.
- Eating tomatoes and drinking tomato juice is possible at any age.
- Especially this product is useful for people in old age. As you know, in older people there is a deterioration in the metabolism of uric acid.
- Thanks to the purines, which are part of the tomato juice, the process is normalized.
- Also, tomatoes effectively cleanse the intestines and improve the work of the digestive system.
Ketchup with diabetes
Often, patients are interested in whether it is possible to include in the diet ketchup for diabetes. As you know, this product is prepared from tomatoes, and the glycemic index of ketchup is not high - only 15 units, so diabetics are often confident in the usefulness of this sauce. Meanwhile, doctors and nutritionists do not recommend it to use in the presence of the disease.
The fact is that the composition of ketchup includes a large amount of starch, which acts as a thickener in the industrial production of sauce. Starch itself is a carbohydrate that is slowly absorbed, but during splitting in the cavity of the gastrointestinal tract to glucose, the substance provokes the development of hypoglycemia.
Also in the product may contain dyes and preservatives harmful to diabetics. Thus, it is recommended to abandon the use of ketchup and tomato sauces, bought in stores.
If you want to add a menu with an increased sugar tomato sauce, you can make homemade ketchup without sugar.
To do this, use high-quality tomato paste without preservatives, lemon juice or vinegar, sweetener, pepper, salt and bay leaf.
- Tomato paste is mixed with drinking water to obtain the consistency of the desired thickness.
- Spices are added to the resulting mass, then the mixture is boiled over low heat.
- When the sauce boils, it adds bay leaf. The mixture is infused for several minutes and served at the table.
As an option, finely chopped vegetables — onions, zucchini, carrots, cabbage, beets — are added to the sauce along with the tomato paste.
It is also allowed to cook ketchup on the basis of low-fat meat broth, such a dish will be very welcome for diabetics.
Dosage of tomatoes for diabetes
Despite its beneficial properties, not all tomatoes can be beneficial. It is best to eat tomatoes that are grown in the home. Such vegetables will not contain harmful chemical additives.
You should not buy tomatoes that are brought from abroad or grown in a greenhouse. As a rule, unripe tomatoes are imported into the country, and then they are treated with special chemicals for dressing vegetables. Greenhouse tomatoes contain an increased percentage of liquid, which reduces their beneficial properties.
Tomatoes have a low glycemic index, but a diabetic can eat no more than 300 g of such vegetables per day. It is allowed to eat only fresh tomatoes without the addition of salt, vegetables in canned or pickled form with diabetes are contraindicated.
- Eat tomatoes, both alone and in combination, adding to the vegetable salad from cabbage, cucumbers, greens. It is better to use olive or sesame oil as a dressing. At the same time, salt, spices and spices are practically not added to the dishes, as this is harmful for the diabetic.
- Since the glycemic index of tomato juice is low, it is drunk with any type of diabetes. Fresh juices that do not add salt are most useful. Before you use it, tomato juice is diluted with drinking water in a ratio of 1 to 3.
- Fresh tomatoes are also used to make gravy, sauce, ketchup. Tasty and healthy food makes the diet of the patient a variety, provides the body with essential substances, improves digestion.
Meanwhile, it is important to strictly follow the recommendations of the attending physician and to observe the daily dosage of tomato consumption.
How to make quick sugar-free ketchup will tell the video in this article.