It is known that sleep takes up almost a third of a person’s life, therefore its violations are detected in more than half of humanity. With this occurrence of pathologies, both adults and children are equally affected. According to doctors, modern people pay insufficient attention to adequate sleep, and in fact it is the key to health.
People with diabetes also suffer from sleep disorders. At the same time, adherence to rest and sleep is also one of the main tools for them to control the ailment in order to avoid serious complications.
According to numerous studies, scientists from France, Canada, the UK and Denmark found that sleep disorders and diabetes, high blood sugar and insulin are inextricably linked, because they are controlled by a single gene. The most serious sleep problems are diabetics with excessive weight and complications of the cardiovascular system.
As you know, a hormone called insulin, due to the lack or lack of absorption of which diabetes is manifested, is produced by the human body in different doses at certain times of the day. It was found that the mutation at the gene level, which not only leads to sleep disorders, but also stimulates an increase in glucose in the blood plasma, is to blame.
The experiment was conducted on thousands of volunteers, among whom were diabetics and completely healthy people. The pattern of gene mutation responsible for biorhythms and contributing to an increase in sugar content was established in patients with type 2 diabetes. In diabetes, insomnia is due precisely to this factor.
Often there are situations when the patient clearly follows all the recommendations of doctors, follows a special diet, however, to reduce the weight and normalize the glucose does not go. You should know that the cause of everything can be not diabetes, but sleep disorders, which is also known as apnea.
Doctors somonologi conducted a series of studies that showed that 36% of diabetics suffer from the effects of this syndrome. In turn, sleep apnea causes the production of insulin to be significantly reduced, as well as the susceptibility of cells to the hormone.
In addition, lack of sleep also negatively affects the rate of fat splitting, so even the most strict diet often does not help diabetic to lose weight. However, it is quite simple to diagnose apnea and cure. The main symptom of the disorder is snoring, as well as breath holding in sleep for ten seconds or more.
The main symptoms of apnea are:
- frequent awakenings;
- morning increase in blood pressure, accompanied by frequent headaches that disappear by themselves without the use of drugs;
- restless, superficial sleep and, as a result, daytime sleepiness;
- night sweats, blockages and arrhythmias, heartburn or belching;
- night urination occurs more than twice per night;
- infertility, impotence, lack of sexual desire;
- increased blood glucose levels;
- strokes and heart attacks in the early morning.
But in order for the diagnosis to be more accurate, it is necessary to undergo a medical examination, as a result of which the doctor will be able to prescribe the correct treatment. In a short time, diabetics can, with the help of competent therapy, optimize plasma glucose levels and get rid of excessive weight.
Before you begin treatment, you must accurately identify the problem. To diagnose diabetic apnea, the following tests are performed:
- total blood test and sugar;
- glycated hemoglobin;
- blood test for hormones produced by the thyroid gland, biochemical analysis for creatine, urea and protein, as well as the lipid spectrum;
- urine analysis for albumin and Reberg test.
When the patient has already begun to experience daytime symptoms of apnea, it is necessary to take urgent measures. Diabetic sleep disorders should be treated comprehensively. Initially, the patient will have to change his own way of life:
- completely give up bad habits;
- follow a high-protein, low-carb diet;
- receive aerobic exercise at regular low doses;
- if there is excess weight, it must be reduced by at least ten percent.
Positional treatment is also welcome. For example, when a patient has apnea on his back, it is necessary to sleep on his side.
All of these measures can be observed without much effort by the patient and without a doctor's prescription.
How to restore a healthy sleep?
Often, without the help of a somnologist, the patient cannot cope, but there are a number of methods that will help get rid of the sleep disorder at the initial stage:
- The first thing that needs to be done is to make a daily routine. A person needs to try to eat, rest and go to bed at the same time every day.
- At 10 PM, the production of a hormone called melatonin begins. It is he who helps to quickly relax and fall asleep, so you need to go to bed around ten in the evening.
- Need to abandon meals after six hours.
- Sleeping can only be successful inside a cozy room with a pleasant, relaxing atmosphere on a good mattress.
- Before bedtime, it is better to stop drinking coffee, alcohol, tea or any other beverages that have an invigorating effect.
- It is important to air the room well before bedtime. It is also desirable to include a humidifier.
- Shortly before bedtime, it's best to stop watching TV or quarrels. Every evening should be calm, pleasant, every soothing factor is important.
- In addition, there is a sleeping pill for diabetics.
Diabetes and sleep are inextricably linked. Violations in diabetes can occur for completely different reasons that are not associated with the disease.
It is forbidden to swear in the bedroom, argue, that is, to experience any negative emotions. The bed must be strictly used for its intended purpose, that is, to sleep on it. It is forbidden to use the box for work, reading and so on.
Against the background of excessive fatigue, which is characteristic of diabetics, the patient often seeks to go beyond their capabilities.
To establish a diagnosis that sounds like chronic fatigue, you must answer frankly with a few simple questions:
- Do you smoke?
- Are you exposed to serious stress?
- Do you spend more than two weeks on vacation?
- Can you work six days a week for more than ten hours?
If all the answers are affirmative, the patient experiences severe exhaustion. However, besides it, with diabetes, you can experience sleep problems due to lack of sleep hygiene. The patient’s bedroom should only be associated with positive emotions, because the psycho-emotional state means a lot when it comes to healthy sleep.
In addition, one should not force himself to sleep during the daytime, the more the patient will force himself, the more likely that his sleep will be short-lived, disturbing, in a word, incomplete.
Even if you want to sleep, the day is best to abandon this venture.
If you ignore insomnia in diabetes, what to think, you can start the disease even more. The first consequence, which is manifested in a diabetic who does not fully relax, is overweight, which rapidly increases up to obesity.
Sleep apnea causes insulin resistance, and also provokes a rapid decrease in insulin production, slowing down the breakdown of fats, and other complications of type 2 diabetes are also observed.
Therefore, sleep problems can cause weight gain, even if the patient is exercising and sticking to a diet.
For type 1 diabetes, biorhythm disorder is characteristic when hypoglycemic conditions occur. Therefore, the patient with time without proper treatment begins to suffer from nightmares, falling asleep and also awakening sharply.
Night hypoglycemia is a dangerous phenomenon that can cause death due to a long breath hold, which also occurs during the development of type 2 diabetes.
This syndrome can easily identify relatives of the patient. Enough to watch him at night. With visible breath delays in sleep for more than 10 seconds, we can talk about the development of sleep apnea, the treatment of which does not take much time.
You can resort to traditional medicine to get rid of insomnia, a few recipes are given in the video in this article.