The concentration of cholesterol in the blood of a patient is a special indicator by which medical specialists determine the risk of atherosclerosis of blood vessels. Numerous studies have shown that the accuracy of this marker is high.
When the growth of cholesterol is observed to 14-14.5 mmol / l, this indicates a wrong lifestyle, problems with blood vessels. In this case, you must immediately begin treatment.
Normal indicator in a healthy person to 5 units. When variability values from 5 to 6.4 mmol / l indicate a moderate increase - you need to think about your lifestyle. If the analysis provides a result of more than 7.8 units - a critical level.
In other words, the higher the diabetic's blood cholesterol, the higher the likelihood of sudden death from a heart attack or stroke. Consider how a study on cholesterol is performed, who is at risk, and also find out how to treat hypercholesterolemia with folk remedies?
Cholesterol 14 mmol / l is not the norm, but pathology. With this result of the study is required to re-analyze. In order for the test results to be reliable, a diabetic needs to follow certain rules. Biological fluid intake is carried out only on an empty stomach. Last meal 12 hours before blood sampling.
In this time period, you can drink unsweetened tea or plain water. A day before the study it is recommended to refuse to visit the bath, sauna. Do not load the body with physical exertion.
In diabetes, the patient needs to take medications that help normalize glycemia. Drugs should be reported to the doctor. Some medications can affect the cholesterol level.
With an increase in total cholesterol to 14 units, the patient is recommended to make a lipidogram - a study that allows you to determine the following indicators:
- HDL - high-density lipoproteins or good cholesterol. This substance helps to collect bad cholesterol on the walls of blood vessels, and then removes it from the body;
- LDL - low-density lipoprotein or dangerous cholesterol. The higher this figure, the more likely the development of atherosclerotic changes in the vessels;
- VLDL - excessively low density lipoproteins. This type of substance is actively involved in the formation of atherosclerotic plaques;
- Triglycerides are esters of fat-like substances and glycerol. Their increase indicates a high risk of atherosclerosis.
Most commonly, the laboratory indicates the test result in mmol / l (millimoles per liter). But sometimes there are other units of measurement, in particular - mg per dl, that is, milligram per deciliter. To translate the indicator, you can use the approximate ratio:
- 4 mmol / l equals 150 mg for dl;
- 5 mmol / l equals 190 mg dl;
- 6 mmol / l equals 230 mg per dl.
Such a unit of measure for cholesterol as mg / l does not exist.
To convert mmol / L to mg / dL, you can use the formula: mmol / L multiplied by 38.7. To convert mg / dl to mmol / l, you need mg / dl divided by 38.7.
Risk factors for hypercholesterolemia
How much is the rate of cholesterol in diabetes? Doctors say that every diabetic should strive for an indicator of less than 5 units. Sometimes the cause of hypercholesterolemia is a genetic factor. The liver synthesizes a large amount of fat-like substance or the body can not cope with the utilization of low-density lipoprotein.
A simultaneous increase in total cholesterol and triglycerides is more common in diabetes. Often the etiology is caused by harmful eating habits - the consumption of large amounts of fatty foods. Contributes to a sedentary lifestyle, leading to impaired blood circulation, excess weight.
Statistics note that among the second type of diabetics, high cholesterol is a fairly common phenomenon.
The most common growth factors for LDL include the following:
- Obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- Hypertonic disease.
- Congestive jaundice.
- Anorexia neuropsychic character.
- Chronic renal failure.
- Nephrotic syndrome.
Most often, the symptoms of cholesterol growth to 14 units are missing. Research is the only way to diagnose a problem in a timely manner.
How to lower cholesterol folk remedies?
If cholesterol 14, what to do? The treatment regimen is recommended by the attending physician. Be sure to take into account such comorbidities as diabetes, hypertension. Also, the patient's age, general well-being. Along with the use of medicines widespread folk remedies.
Good reviews have a vegetable collection based on viburnum, linden flowers, quince, dandelion roots, burnet. All components must be mixed in equal proportions. In 250 ml of hot water pour a spoonful of healing collection, insist 2 hours in a closed container, strain with gauze. Take 3 times a day. Dosage at a time is 50 ml. Reception is carried out 30 minutes before meals. The course of treatment for a month.
Chinese lemongrass - an effective tool to help stop the production of cholesterol in the body. Based on it, they make tea. In 400 ml of hot water, add a teaspoon of the ingredient, brew for 15 minutes. Drink 200 ml twice a day, the duration of treatment is 2 weeks.
Folk remedies for hypercholesterolemia:
- Peel 10 cloves of garlic, chop into mush - skip through a press. Add 500 ml of olive oil to garlic. Insist "medicine" for one week in a cool room. Used as a dressing for cold dishes or salads. Garlic effectively cleans the blood vessels, has a positive effect on the cardiovascular system, helps to reduce the concentration of glucose in diabetes mellitus;
- Linden tea - two in one tool for diabetics. Receiving tea helps to normalize the glycemic and cholesterol levels. In 1000 ml of water pour 2 tablespoons of the dried component, steamed for 30-40 minutes. Drink 250 ml several times a day;
- Broth with hips improves immunity, well cleans blood vessels from atherosclerotic plaques. In 1000 ml of water add 100-150 g of fruit, brew for 4-5 hours. Drink per day;
- In 250 ml of liquid honey add a glass of dill seeds, chopped tablespoon of valerian root. Pour 1000 ml of hot water, insist day. Take a tablespoon before meals. The multiplicity - three times a day. Store the "medicine" in the refrigerator on the bottom shelf.
To normalize cholesterol, mixed rosehips, birch leaves, burdock root, peppermint leaves, carrots and marshweed - all components are 10 grams each. One tablespoon pour liter of boiling water. Insist six hours. Filter out Drink 80 ml three times a day. Duration of treatment - 2-3 weeks.
A blood test for bad and good cholesterol is described in the video in this article.